Professional Development Hours (PDHs)
Frequently Asked Questions
One professional development hour (PDH) represents one clock hour spent in a planned continuing education experience that is relevant to the profession or discipline of special education, is developed from explicit learning outcomes, conducted by qualified instructional personnel, and designed to reflect principles of good practice in adult education.
Many states accept CEC professional development activities toward their requirements, but some do not. Check in advance with the relevant credentialing authorities in your state to ensure CEC PDHs are accepted and whether professional development hours must be live (synchronous) or if it can be recorded (asynchronous). Note that many states have made exceptions during the pandemic to allow for virtual and/or asynchronous learning to count.
You can earn CEC PDHs during the in-person or virtual convention for all convention education sessions, including convention workshops, concurrent sessions, teacher slam sessions, data blitz sessions, and posters. You can also earn up to one (1) PDH for activities in the Technology Playground. Activities that are not eligible for PDHs include meetings, exhibits, and exhibitor showcase sessions, social events, awards ceremonies, and celebrations.
One hour of instruction is equivalent to one Professional Development Hour. Poster sessions are eligible for 45 minutes of instruction, or .75 PDHs.
You can earn up to 23 PDHs at the in-person convention in Louisville.
You will be able to earn at least 40 PDHs at the virtual convention (exact number is subject to change as programming is confirmed).
You must be registered for the convention and you must view/attend a session in full to claim it for PDHs.
- Credits are based on an honor system. There is no limit on the number of sessions you view/attend and claim.
- Using the Whova.com web version or mobile app, add sessions to YOUR Agenda. This will help you quickly claim your credits.
- You will receive an email with login information to the PDH portal after the in-person component of the convention has concluded.
- You will enter each session you view/attend. Specific instructions will be provided.
- You will have a set amount of time to view/attend sessions and claim your credits. You will have the option to print a Certificate of Attendance and a PDH transcript.